What is it? It is a natural way of drawing out toxins from your body and improving your oral health by swirling oil around in your mouth for 20 minutes each day.
I had heard of it from friends and other online health bloggers but had never gotten into it until I recent trip to Bali where I had an abundance of fresh coconut oil at my disposal and I thought why not!?
You don’t have to use coconut oil, you can use any other vegetable oil, like sesame, but I love the taste of coconut oil and it’s also antibacterial so is a really great choice.
Picture courtesy of lesserevillife.com
What are the benefits or why should you do it?
- Whiter teeth
- Stronger gums and teeth
- Fresher breath
- Detoxes the body which has been shown to help with hangovers, headaches and skin problems like acne and psoriasis
- Increases energy by ridding it of any nasty toxins that are zapping us
There are a few key things to oil pulling that you should know before you begin…
- You must oil pull on an empty stomach, at least 4 hours since your last meal or an hour after liquids
- You need to swirl the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes – I know this seems like a really long time but if you do it first thing when you wake not only is your stomach empty but you won’t feel the time passing as you are busy hopping in and out of the shower, getting dressed, doing your make-up, etc. (If you’re finding 20 minutes really difficult 10 minutes is better than nothing)
- Don’t put too much oil in your mouth, the oil will double in size as you swirl it so if it becomes too much just spit some out!
- When you’re 20 minutes is up, spit into the bin not your sink so as not to clog the drains! (By the way the oil will have turned white – don’t panic, that’s normal)
- Don’t swallow any of the oil as it is drawing the toxins out of your body so you don’t want to send them back in!
- You may start to feel worse before you’ll feel better – like with any detox you are getting rid of the bad so you can feel good – persevere.
- Finally, give your teeth a quick brush after you spit out the oil to ensure any residue is removed.
So how did I find my first oil pulling experience and did I notice any changes?
For the first few days I felt pretty crappy. My nose had started running, my throat was dry and my head was killing me. But after 3 or 4 days these side affects disappeared and after almost three oil pulling now I really notice a difference in how white my teeth are.
Even Wu-Wu wants to give it a try!